Welcome!

Hello and welcome to my blog of plants! You'll find a list of herbaceous plants that I've encountered and learned about during my studies at Virginia Tech, in the order I learned them by list. You'll find great photos of herbaceous plants, their names and families, and details of where I found them. All photos have been taken by myself. Feel free to click on them for enlargement. May this blog be of benefit to thee!

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Crocus species and hybrids, Crocus, Iridaceae

Genus and species:  
Crocus species and hybrids

Common Name: Crocus
Family Name: Iridaceae

Every heard of saffron? Well, this is where it comes from! The exact genus and speices of the Saffron Crocus is Crocus sativus. The foliage is a dead give away for identification. It has a white stripe down the middle and ends in a point. The flowers contain six petals and come in a variety of colors including yellow, purple, and white with purple.

Photo taken March 14, 2012 at Virginia Tech in the Hahn Horticulture Gardens.

No comments:

Post a Comment