Welcome!

Hello and welcome to my blog of plants! You'll find a list of herbaceous plants that I've encountered and learned about during my studies at Virginia Tech, in the order I learned them by list. You'll find great photos of herbaceous plants, their names and families, and details of where I found them. All photos have been taken by myself. Feel free to click on them for enlargement. May this blog be of benefit to thee!

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Viola x wittrockiana, Viola/Pansy, Violaceae

Genus and species:  
Viola x wittrockiana
Common Name: Viola, Pansy
Family Name: Violaceae


Compared to pansies, violas always have a smalloer flower than pansies, more flowers, and are a bit more cold tolerant. Pansies are zygomorphic, meaning they have different sized petals (and 5 petals). They are edible. The foliage is compact, green, and if they have a purplish tinge it may be due to lack of phosphorus.

Photo taken March 14, 2012 at Virginia Tech in the Hahn Horticulture Gardens.

No comments:

Post a Comment