Welcome!

Hello and welcome to my blog of plants! You'll find a list of herbaceous plants that I've encountered and learned about during my studies at Virginia Tech, in the order I learned them by list. You'll find great photos of herbaceous plants, their names and families, and details of where I found them. All photos have been taken by myself. Feel free to click on them for enlargement. May this blog be of benefit to thee!

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Hyacinthus orientalis, [Dutch] Hyacinth, Asparagaceae

Genus and species:  
Hyacinthus orientalis
Common Name: [Dutch] Hyacinth
Family Name: Asparagaceae

One of my favorite plants, it has an incredibly strong sweet fragrance. The bulbs are HUGE!!! And very toxic as well as purplish. They make people itchy. The foliage is spear-shaped and the plant itself has an obvious stocky condensed shape with waxy star-shaped florets on a fat center stem. The flowers come in purple, blue, red, and peach.


Photo taken March 14, 2012 at Virginia Tech in the Hahn Horticulture Gardens.

No comments:

Post a Comment