Welcome!

Hello and welcome to my blog of plants! You'll find a list of herbaceous plants that I've encountered and learned about during my studies at Virginia Tech, in the order I learned them by list. You'll find great photos of herbaceous plants, their names and families, and details of where I found them. All photos have been taken by myself. Feel free to click on them for enlargement. May this blog be of benefit to thee!

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Arundo donax 'Variegata' Variegated Giant Reed Grass Poaceae

Genus and species: Arundo donax
Cultivar: 'Variegata'
Common Name: Variegated Giant Reed Grass
Family Name: Poaceae

This grass starts out bright white and green in its youth and turns completely green with age. The nodes are close together and ladders up. The plant is well behaved in Southern Virginia, but more wild in more Southern climates. This plant is very sturdy and can be used to build with. It is also used to make reeds for musical instruments.


Photos taken September 7, 2011 at Virginia Tech in the Hahn Horticulture Gardens.

No comments:

Post a Comment