Welcome!

Hello and welcome to my blog of plants! You'll find a list of herbaceous plants that I've encountered and learned about during my studies at Virginia Tech, in the order I learned them by list. You'll find great photos of herbaceous plants, their names and families, and details of where I found them. All photos have been taken by myself. Feel free to click on them for enlargement. May this blog be of benefit to thee!

Saturday, October 8, 2011

Musa & Ensete species & hybrids, Ornamental Banana, Muscaceae

Photos taken August 31, 2011 at Virginia Tech in the Hahn Horticulture Gardens.

Genus and species: Musa basjoo
Common Name: Hardy Banana

A relatively large tree, this plant overwinters well in deep soil and has green leaves.





















































Genus and species: Musa acuminata or Musa sumatrana
Common Name: Sumatran Banana

As an i.d. feature, the underside of the leaves are red.





















































Genus and species: Ensete ventricosum
Common Name: Red Abyssinian Banana

To identify from other bananas, this banana has a striking red vein in the leaves.




No comments:

Post a Comment